Visit the Ruins Park to stroll around the hilltop and admire the Belle Epoque architecture of the historic Villa Lobos. There’s always something going off at the Cultural Center, whether it’s a local art exhibition, a live band performing, or a family-friendly theater performance. Afterward, take a seat at the terrace café, where you can enjoy a drink or some snacks with a view over Rio’s Centro and Lapa neighborhoods, as well as Sugar Loaf Mountain and Guanabara Bay.
Things to know before you go
- The Ruins Park is often included on tours of Rio’s Santa Teresa neighborhood.
- Admission to the park and cultural center is free.
- The Ruins Park Café serves hot and cold drinks, as well as light meals and snacks.
- Some parts of the Ruins Park are accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to get there
Ruins Park is located in the Santa Teresa neighborhood of Rio, about one mile (two kilometers) south of the Centro region. Bus 160 stops close by, but it’s best to take a taxi—as with most Rio neighborhoods, it’s not safe for tourists to walk outside of the main areas.
When to get there
The park and cultural center are open from Tuesday to Sunday from morning until evening. Events vary depending on the day and season, but there are normally live bands or theater performances on weekend afternoons and evenings, especially over the summer season.
Rio’s Santa Teresa Neighborhood
One of the city’s most colorful and artistic neighborhoods, Santa Teresa sprawls across the hilltops south of downtown Rio. Highlights include a ride on the 19th-century Santa Teresa Tram, the oldest of its kind in South America; the Tram Museum, which tells the story of the historic tram; the famous Selaron Steps, designed by Chilean artist Jorge Selarón; and the Chacara do Ceu art museum, which is just a short stroll from the Ruins Park.
- O que fazer em Sudeste do Brasil
- O que fazer em Santos
- O que fazer em Belo Horizonte
- O que fazer em São Paulo
- O que fazer em Nordeste do Brasil
- O que fazer em Os pampas
- O que fazer em Noroeste da Argentina
- O que fazer em Altiplano
- O que fazer em Amazônia do Brasil
- O que fazer em Costa Sul do Peru
- O que fazer em Patagônia
- Museu Chácara do Céu
- Bairro da Lapa
- Parque do Flamengo (Aterro do Flamengo)
- Marina da Glória (Marina da Glória)
- Catedral do Rio de Janeiro (Catedral Metropolitana de São Sebastião)
- Santa Teresa (Bairro Santa Teresa)
- Teatro Municipal do Rio de Janeiro (Theatro Municipal)
- Praça Floriano Peixoto (Cinelândia)
- Rio Scenarium
- Palácio do Catete (Palácio do Catete)
- Biblioteca Nacional do Brasil (Biblioteca Nacional do Brasil)
- Museu Nacional de Belas Artes do Rio de Janeiro (Museu Nacional de Belas Artes)
- Igreja de São Francisco da Penitencia (Igreja São Francisco da Penitencia)
- Distrito de compras de Saara (Polo Saara)
- Palácio Tiradentes (Palácio Tiradentes)